Trip Report Part 2

Submitted: Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 20:20
ThreadID: 37640 Views:2723 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
At Port Hedland we fuelled up the vehicle, the tucker box and had a look around one of the oldest towns in the Pilbara. Port Hedland looks as if it's slowly rusting away as everything is covered with a fine film of iron ore dust. We camped at 80 Mile Beach caravan park and wandered along that glorious stretch of sand and sea while the sun set in brilliant colour beside us. Next day more bitumen up the highway and then back to reality with a crash and a bang. The Cape Leveque Road. Anyone who says it's a bit rough is definitely understating the facts. It's corrugated to hell and back, sandy and tough going. I know we all have different comfort levels where corrugations are concerned and later on we had much worse but the Cape Leveque road was a ripper up until Beagle Bay and then it was like driving on bitumen. There were graders and road works going on so maybe by now the good stuff will have lengthened out. We didn't go all the way to Cape Leveque because we'd been a couple of times and decided to go to Middle Lagoon. We arrived and the caretaker said "have you booked" I replied "didn't know I had to". "Ah, don't worry" says he, "we'll fit you in". "Do you want a receipt", "no" I replied..and a huge grin appeared on his face. I reckon my $52 for the two nights went straight into his pocket!!! We enjoyed Middle Lagoon. We had a shady campsite with plenty of space and relaxed, swam and walked. All too soon it was time to brave the road back to Broome. It seemed better on the way out, now why is that always so?

We stayed at the Broome Vacation Village which we'd booked months earlier because we decided that we would get a site with power and own toilet/shower. I'm glad that we did as most parks were packed and we had a lovely shady spot. We spent four days here and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The first night was Ray's birthday so we went to the open air pictures and saw "Pirates of the Caribbean - Dead Man's Chest". The next day was spent doing the presents for the kids and just washing clothes and pottering around. The Staircase to the Moon was on so we had tea at the market and waited for the moon to come up. It was worth waiting for and put on a spectacular display. Ganthaume Point and Cable Beach took up another day..which we ended by sitting on the beach watching another magnificent Broome sunset. The Broome Cup was on and we went along. I backed the winner of the Cup. I had $10 on at 10.00 so got $100 back. I reckon that just about squared me up for presents and the market buys.

Broome to Derby was the next leg of the trip. We got to Derby in the middle of the day, set up camp in the heat because we wanted to rush off to the Derby Rodeo. It was a great show. Mum's dad's, kids, babies, dogs and assorted tourists all had a ball. This is the only rodeo where I've seen them use a heeler dog to chase the bucking bulls out of the arena! We had fish and chips from the shop at the jetty. Barramundi and every bit was delicious. Next day we took a seaplane flight out to Talbot Bay where they had a big boat moored and took speed boats through the Horizontal Falls. Wow!! How amazing is this place! The flight out was incredible as we flew out over the mudflats, the mountains and then the islands of the Buccaneer Archipelego. That would have been worth while even without the boat ride I thought, but then off we went through the falls. The power of the water and the speed and the absolute magnitude of it all was bewildering and exciting. It was over too soon and like a kid I asked "Dad, can we do that again"? Back in Derby we packed up and headed off out on to the Gibb River Road and Windjana Gorge.

Next - The Gibb River Road, Mitchell Falls and Kalumburu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff H (QLD) - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 21:13

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 21:13
Interesting how some things remain constant whilst changing. 12 months back, we enjoyed a night at Redbank, but that was nearing the end of our diddlybop, while for you it was virtually the beginning. Agree that, even then, some of that road to Middle Lagoon was pretty crook.(From memory, we scored site 5 at M Lagoon; top marks for location; ? marks for book keeping.)

Looking to enjoy the rest of your trip, and thanks for permit reassurance.
AnswerID: 194042

Reply By: Footloose - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 21:56

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 21:56
Viv, even though I've been to many of your spots years ago, I'm enjoying reading the report. Especially the personal observations :) Please continue .....
AnswerID: 194056

Reply By: Member - Ric K (WA) - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 22:12

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 22:12
Ok Viv..... so at Cable Beach did you go to the left or the right of the rocks to sights unseen :-))).
But all hilarities aside, the whole of the Kimberley is a great adventure, hope you have time to head up the Kalumbaru Rd to Mitchell Falls, the road into Mitchell Falls about 70-80ks but nearly 3hrs. But well worth it and maybe if finances allow a helicopter ride over the falls and the coast.
all the the best. OOps again just reread your article you are going to make it up North good luck again
AnswerID: 194060

Follow Up By: Member - vivien C (VIC) - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:38

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 08:38
Hey Rick,

We went to the right at Cable Beach and drove a long, long way...my sights were kept covered up so they were unseen!! Tried to avert my eyes at the others of course!! Don't you just love the thought of all those camel riders getting a slow motion view of everything!! They should put that in their ads!!

Viv
FollowupID: 451987

Follow Up By: Member - Ric K (WA) - Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:37

Tuesday, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:37
Hi Viv and crew again, the only part of those animals we didn't like was the residue they left behind on the beach, tended to get stuck between your toes. A few years ago the Shire made the operators pick up all the dung, but last year heaps laying around the beach, how was it this time?
Regards Ric k
FollowupID: 452005

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic)&Moses - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 22:41

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 22:41
Thanks Viv, I didn't comment on the earlier report, but pleased to read them, and look forward to the next one.
AnswerID: 194066

Sponsored Links